Friday, March 8, 2013

The Power of Travel


Literacy has been an extremely important aspect of my life ever since I was old enough to read. I was always fascinated by novels and I was constantly reading while many of my friends were entertained by technology. I credit my advanced level of literacy to the opportunities I took to engage my mind into stimulating books. I love reading books about places that I've never been before or about cultures I am not familiar with. Reading has influenced my traveling experiences, which in return have broadened my literacy. I believe that traveling and being introduced to a multitude of cultures unlike my own has made me a more intelligent person with a better understanding of the world around me. My parents always considered travel as the key to becoming a cultured, literate human being. I am confident in being able to communicate my thoughts and feelings to people from all kinds of backgrounds, simply because I am aware of the diversity that exists in the world around us. I believe literacy is something gained through life experiences that positively stimulate the mind and broaden our horizons. I plan on continuing to travel throughout my life to new parts of the world that I have yet to experience, in order to keep expanding my literacy and knowledge.

3 comments:

  1. I like the connection that you establish between travel and literacy. I also agree that travel can play a role in broadening one's cultural horizons. It helps us to foster the understanding that although everyone doesn't do things the same way that we do, it doesn't mean they're doing them wrong - only different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too agree that travel has made me a more openminded person in the way that our way of life isnt the only way of life. And just because others may not live like we do, that they are wrong. I strongly believe everyone should try to travel and get out as much as they can because there is nothing like actually experiencing what you learn, as opposed to reading about it in a book.

    ReplyDelete