Friday, February 22, 2013

The Evolution Of Music

It is no secret that the world of music is constantly evolving. The music we are familiar with now is much different than the music that was popular when we were children, and is even more contrasting to the music our elders listened to in their younger years. When I think about my opinion on the evolution of music, I find myself at a crossroads. The baby boomer generation, for example, mostly considers the golden age of music to be long gone. Many who I have spoken to on the subject believe The Beatles have been the greatest band to ever live and no one has come close to matching their talent. Meanwhile, I have also heard opinions from others who have embraced the new forms of music and view"imitation as the sincerest form of flattery"concerning modern artists whose talents resemble the style of those that have come before them.
One thing is for certain- the variation of music genres and artists that have developed in modern time is superior to any other in the history of the music industry. Lady Gaga, for example, is an artist that can be described as extremely unique to say the least, and her music style is different that anything seen before her. Many people feel uneasy and are very critical of that, while others find it refreshing. I don't think the world will ever come to an agreement on whether the music industry has upgraded or downgraded because everyone is entitled to freedom of speech and opinion. I personally believe that all eras of music have their pros and cons, just like anything else in this less than perfect world. Do you think some people are somewhat hostile towards forms of modern music because they are uncomfortable with the idea of change in general? What is your opinion on the subject?

3 comments:

  1. I think that perhaps some of the older generations’ hesitance to accept new music, particularly in the pop and rock genres, comes from the fact that they perceive it as "unoriginal." After all, they heard the other music first and can trace the “roots” of almost any song. For example, when I listen to Lady Gaga, I hear Madonna’s influence and when I listen to Jack White I often hear Led Zeppelin. However, I think that the ability to accept or even “like” the new music depends upon an individual’s willingness acknowledge that much music is derivative - and that’s OK. Part of the beauty of music is the ability of one party to influence another and create something new or new-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My belief is that due to an ever changing musical landscape, which you discuss, there tends to me a lack of willingness to accept these changing genres from elder populations who want to relate to the past. Overall good read and I do agree that it's due to their unwillingness to change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it's popular for a lot young people today to say that old music like the Beatles was the best. I guess they think it makes them seem smarter or more appreciative of "real" music. If people gave modern (and old) music a chance I think they would find that there are songs in both that they enjoy.

    ReplyDelete