Friday, April 19, 2013

Consumerism In Our Lives


The image I selected as a vivid example of visual rhetoric is of a baby covered in logos of famous franchises. This image serves as a symbol of the power of consumerism in the modern world. Life in the United States revolves around consumerism. Companies are constantly competing against each other for the most business, which in turn will make the most money. In turn, consumers constantly desire the newest and most popular products on the market. I believe that the image above is sending a message that our lives revolve around the world of consumerism ever since birth. We are automatically   born into a world that is constantly thriving and we must learn to keep up with the latest trends. Personally, I favor the simple ways of life that our grandparents lived throughout their youth. I don't believe that people should let consumerism define them and run their lives. What is your perception of the modern world in regard with its' strong connection to consumerism?  I don't strive to keep up with the latest trends. My parents always instilled in me that it is not money or fame that define success, and that we should be focused on more intellectual aspects of life.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the picture you chose. It has such a powerful visual effect. It is very unfortunate that our lives revolve around consumerism at such an early age, but it is definitely the truth. I don't think that we should rely so heavily on consumerism because, I agree, life is not about the material things, but most people somehow think it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny, I chose the same pic for my post on visual rhetoric! I thought that this picture most accurately emphasized that from a very young age we are bombarded with ads, that they are consuming our lives. I agree with you about how powerful the symbol of consumerism is in our world today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This picture is certainly telling of how much of an influence corporatations have on the public. Showing a baby covered in logos is proof of this statement. At a young age people can expect to be bombarded by advertisements, products, and other aspects of corporate America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the picture you chose. It shows how even at a very young age we are attacked with ads of what product is better. I also was raised with the thought process that brand names don't mean the product is better.

    ReplyDelete