Friday, April 12, 2013

Links Between Police Brutality and Minority Groups

My research paper for writing project 3 will focus on persuading readers that police brutality is directly linked to targeting minority groups, and offer strategies to manage this. I began my search for sources by searching the TAMU Library Database. I came across a scholarly article entitled "Minority threat and police brutality: Determinants of civil rights criminal complaints in U.S. municipalities" by Malcolm D. Holmes. I chose this article because it had many components of what I would like to cover in my essay. I am using this article as a scholarly source because it includes an abstract, footnotes, references, and it is geared towards a research community audience. This article was published in a scholarly journal and uses language geared towards the academic field.
This article will play a big role in persuading my readers that minority groups are, in fact, the main target of police brutality. It provides facts and evidence as to how often incidences of brutality occur. A major factor that is repeatedly mentioned throughout the article is that nation wide, increased reports of incidents regarding police brutality directly coincide in areas where Hispanics and Blacks of lower socio economic level reside. Holmes' article revolves around a study he completed in order to determine factors that play a role in the annual rates of police brutality. He recorded data from a city with a population of more than 150,000 as well as a town where the police brutality incidents are at least 2 per year. Despite the wide range of differences between the two areas surveyed, the results were quite similar. In both areas, Hispanics and Black citizens were the victims of police brutality more so than any other ethnicity. What do you believe police brutality against minority groups has manifested from?

3 comments:

  1. I found my scholarly source on the Texas A&M University databases as well! I feel as though, officers who engage in brutality rationalize their use of extralegal force.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps deep-rooted/ingrained racism is responsible for increased brutality against specific groups? I don't know - that's just speculation. If true, though, it's unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The environment these policemen where brought up in might contribute to their brutality. If you grow up hating mayonnaise for example, would you change it when you are an adult?

    ReplyDelete